This issue of The World of Food Science provides an update on several aspects of genetically modified (GM) or genetically engineered foods, a topic that still creates some controversy among some consumers and for some governments. Eight papers and reports are provided on:
• GM foods in Africa (Aworh)
• GM plants (Guertler and Busch)
• Brazil GMO regulatory scenario (Souza)
• Colombia GMO adoption (Jaramillo and Castano, in Spanish with English abstract)
• Biotechnology (Ahrne)
• South African GM food safety (Gouws and Groenewald)
• GM stories (SAAFoST)
• GMOs perception (Tamayo, in Spanish with English abstract).
Other features of this volume include:
• Focus article:
o Donna Cawthorn and Louw Hoffman discuss meat substitution in South Africa
• Food Security Update: Charles Aworh discusses promoting food security by value-added processing of indigenous fruits; the work of the World Food Prize Laureates for 2013 are outlined; and George Abong briefly reports on a UNEP conference in Kenya.
• Association News: Alastair Hicks reports on progress with formation of food science and technology associations in Myanmar and Cambodia; and we reproduce an ISFE interview with food engineer Walter Spiess
• International Regulatory Update: Alan Randell reports on the Codex 50th anniversary; and John Lupien reports on the 45th CCFA meeting.
• Calendar of Events: an update of forthcoming conferences and events in food science and technology throughout the globe.
The next volume will cover aspects of Nanotechnology and Foods.
4th International Conference and Exhibition on Food Processing and Technology, London, United Kingdom
48th Annual AIFST Convention and 15th Australian Food Microbiology Conference, Sydney, Australia
Fi South America, Sau Paulo, Brazil
21st SAAFoST Biennial International Congress and Exhibition, Durban Kwazulu Natal, South Africa
1st World Congress on Electroporation and Pulsed Electric Fields in Biology, Medicine and Food and Environmental Technologies, Portoroz, Slovenia
9th International Conference on Predictive Modelling in Foods (ICPMF), Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Fi Asia-Thailand, Bangkok, Thailand
Innovations in Food Packaging, Shelf Life and Food Safety, Munich, Germany
5th MoniQA International Conference, Porto, Portugal
2015 Annual Conference and Exhibition, Intewrnational Society for Nutraceuticals, and Functional Foods. Functional Foods, Nutraceuticals, Natural Health Products and Dietary Supplements. Worldhotel Grand Juna, Wuxi, China.
Propak Myanmar, Myanmar Event Park, Yangon. Myanmar
Ferg Symposium on 'The Burden of Foodborne Diseases!', Amsterdam, The Netherlands
INNOVA 2015, Montevideo, Uruguay
Fi Japan, Tokyo, Japan
2nd International Conference on Global Food Security, New York, USA
Fi and Hi India, Bombay, India
EFSA Expo 2015, Milan, Italy
100th AACC International Annual Meeting, Minneapolis, USA
VI International Conference on Environmental, Industrial and Applied Microbiology. Barcelona, Spain.
Food Science 2015, Singapore
8th McGill Conference on Global Food Security. Current Issues in Global Food Security. McGill Institute for Global Food Security, McGill University, Montreal, Canada.
3rd International Conference on Food Structures, Digestion and Health, Wellington, New Zealand
3rd Conference on Biotechnology and Breeding, Berlin, Germany
1st International Conference on Environment, Livelihood and Services, Bangkok, Thailand
7th International Symposium on Recent Advances in Food Analysis, Prague, Czech Republic
29th EFFoST International Conference, Athens, Greece
9th CIGR Section VI International Technical Symposium. Theme: “Creating Value from Bioresources through Novel Technologies”. Massey University, Auckland Campus, Auckland, New Zealand.
The 6th International Conference on Food Factors (ICoFF 2015). Bioconvergence for Food Function. Convention and Exhibition Center (COEX), Seoul, South Korea. Organised by the Korean Society of Food Science and Technology.
Hi Europe and Ni 2015, Natural Ingredients 2015, Paris, France
2nd Food Structure and Functionality Forum Symposium. Singex, Singapore.
Sense Asia 2016. Shanghai, China.
ISOPOW 13, Lausanne, Switzerland
77th Institute of Food Technologists (IFT) Annual Meeting and Food Expo, Chicago, USA
4th ISEKI Food Conference, Vienna, Austria
IUFoST World Congress - 18th World Congres of Food Science and Technology, Dublin, Ireland
For more information: http://www.iufost2016.com/
Eurosense 2016. Dijon, France.
Fi Asia-Indonesia, Jakarta, Indonesia
For more information: http://www.figlobal.com/asia-indonesia/home
Hi Europe and Ni 2016, Natural Ingredients 2016, Frankfurt, Germany
For more information: http://www.figlobal.com/hieurope/home