This issue of The World of Food Science provides an update on several aspects of genetically modified (GM) or genetically engineered foods, a topic that still creates some controversy among some consumers and for some governments. Eight papers and reports are provided on:
• GM foods in Africa (Aworh)
• GM plants (Guertler and Busch)
• Brazil GMO regulatory scenario (Souza)
• Colombia GMO adoption (Jaramillo and Castano, in Spanish with English abstract)
• Biotechnology (Ahrne)
• South African GM food safety (Gouws and Groenewald)
• GM stories (SAAFoST)
• GMOs perception (Tamayo, in Spanish with English abstract).
Other features of this volume include:
• Focus article:
o Donna Cawthorn and Louw Hoffman discuss meat substitution in South Africa
• Food Security Update: Charles Aworh discusses promoting food security by value-added processing of indigenous fruits; the work of the World Food Prize Laureates for 2013 are outlined; and George Abong briefly reports on a UNEP conference in Kenya.
• Association News: Alastair Hicks reports on progress with formation of food science and technology associations in Myanmar and Cambodia; and we reproduce an ISFE interview with food engineer Walter Spiess
• International Regulatory Update: Alan Randell reports on the Codex 50th anniversary; and John Lupien reports on the 45th CCFA meeting.
• Calendar of Events: an update of forthcoming conferences and events in food science and technology throughout the globe.
The next volume will cover aspects of Nanotechnology and Foods.
2014 International Forum on Food Safety, Beijing, China.
The Official Fi Istanbul Conference 2014, Istanbul, Turkey.
8th Congress of the International Society of Nutrigenetics / Nutrigenomics, Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia. Theme: "Nutrigenetics / Nutrigenomics to Optimise Health in Rapidly Aging and Culturally Diverse Populations."
3rd International ISEKI Food Conference, Athens, Greece.
Novel Approaches in Food Industry - International Food Congress - NAFI 2014, Kusadasi, Turkey.
Joint International Conference on Engineering Education & International Conference on Information Technology (ICEE/ICIT 2014), Riga Technical University, Riga, Latvia.
8th World Congress on Polyphenols Applications 2014. Lisbon, Portugal
Beverage Indredients Forum 2014, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
14th International Conference on Oxidative Stress Reducation, Redox Homeostasis and Antioxidants: Clinical Advances - Challenges - Advances. Paris, France.
Food Innovation Asia, Bangkok, Thailand.
IFT Annual Meeting
Australia Institute of Food Science and Technology Annual Meeting
8th World Congress on Diabetes and Obesity 2014. Theme: Strategies, Innovations and Challenges. Riga Stradins University, Riga, Latvia.
17th World Congress of Food Science and Technology, Palais des congrès de Montréal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Theme: “Research that Resonates”.
The 6th Asian Congress of Dietetics, Taipei, Taiwan.
ICSU General Assembly
7th International Whey Conference. Beurs-World Trade Center, Beursplein 37, 3001 DB Rotterdam, The Netherlands.
EuroSense 2014: A Sense of Life. 6th European Conference on Sensory and Consumer Research. Bella Center, Copenhagan, Denmark.
Fi Global Summit 2014, London, England.
1st Congress on Food Structure Design. Porto, Portugal.
1st World Congress on Antioxidants and Chemical Industries. Berlin, Germany.
28th EFFoST International Conference, Uppsala, Sweden.
2nd International Conference on Agricultural and Food Enginerring - CAFEi 2014, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Hi and Ni Euope Conference 2014, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
Ditigal Olfaction Society 2nd World Congress on Olfaction and Issues. Tokyo Institute of Technology, Toyko, Japan.
International Congress on Engineering and Food (ICEF), Quebec, Canada