This issue of The World of Food Science provides an update on several aspects of genetically modified (GM) or genetically engineered foods, a topic that still creates some controversy among some consumers and for some governments. Eight papers and reports are provided on:
• GM foods in Africa (Aworh)
• GM plants (Guertler and Busch)
• Brazil GMO regulatory scenario (Souza)
• Colombia GMO adoption (Jaramillo and Castano, in Spanish with English abstract)
• Biotechnology (Ahrne)
• South African GM food safety (Gouws and Groenewald)
• GM stories (SAAFoST)
• GMOs perception (Tamayo, in Spanish with English abstract).
Other features of this volume include:
• Focus article:
o Donna Cawthorn and Louw Hoffman discuss meat substitution in South Africa
• Food Security Update: Charles Aworh discusses promoting food security by value-added processing of indigenous fruits; the work of the World Food Prize Laureates for 2013 are outlined; and George Abong briefly reports on a UNEP conference in Kenya.
• Association News: Alastair Hicks reports on progress with formation of food science and technology associations in Myanmar and Cambodia; and we reproduce an ISFE interview with food engineer Walter Spiess
• International Regulatory Update: Alan Randell reports on the Codex 50th anniversary; and John Lupien reports on the 45th CCFA meeting.
• Calendar of Events: an update of forthcoming conferences and events in food science and technology throughout the globe.
The next volume will cover aspects of Nanotechnology and Foods.
Sense Asia 2016. Shanghai, China.
ISOPOW 13, Lausanne, Switzerland
77th Institute of Food Technologists (IFT) Annual Meeting and Food Expo, Chicago, USA
4th ISEKI Food Conference, Vienna, Austria
IUFoST World Congress - 18th World Congres of Food Science and Technology, Dublin, Ireland
For more information: http://www.iufost2016.com/
Eurosense 2016. Dijon, France.
Fi Asia-Indonesia, Jakarta, Indonesia
For more information: http://www.figlobal.com/asia-indonesia/home
Food Factory 2016, Laval, France
For more information: http://www.food-factory.fr
Hi Europe and Ni 2016, Natural Ingredients 2016, Frankfurt, Germany
For more information: http://www.figlobal.com/hieurope/home