This issue of The World of Food Science provides an update on several aspects of genetically modified (GM) or genetically engineered foods, a topic that still creates some controversy among some consumers and for some governments. Eight papers and reports are provided on:
• GM foods in Africa (Aworh)
• GM plants (Guertler and Busch)
• Brazil GMO regulatory scenario (Souza)
• Colombia GMO adoption (Jaramillo and Castano, in Spanish with English abstract)
• Biotechnology (Ahrne)
• South African GM food safety (Gouws and Groenewald)
• GM stories (SAAFoST)
• GMOs perception (Tamayo, in Spanish with English abstract).
Other features of this volume include:
• Focus article:
o Donna Cawthorn and Louw Hoffman discuss meat substitution in South Africa
• Food Security Update: Charles Aworh discusses promoting food security by value-added processing of indigenous fruits; the work of the World Food Prize Laureates for 2013 are outlined; and George Abong briefly reports on a UNEP conference in Kenya.
• Association News: Alastair Hicks reports on progress with formation of food science and technology associations in Myanmar and Cambodia; and we reproduce an ISFE interview with food engineer Walter Spiess
• International Regulatory Update: Alan Randell reports on the Codex 50th anniversary; and John Lupien reports on the 45th CCFA meeting.
• Calendar of Events: an update of forthcoming conferences and events in food science and technology throughout the globe.
The next volume will cover aspects of Nanotechnology and Foods.
28th EFFoST International Conference, Uppsala, Sweden.
2nd International Conference on Agricultural and Food Enginerring - CAFEi 2014, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Secretariat and Registration - email@example.com
18th World Congress on Clinical Nutrition. Theme "Agriculture, Food and Nutrition for Health and Wellness".
International College of Nutrition and Ubon Ratchathani University.
Sunee Grand Hotel and Convention Center. Ubon Ratchathani, Thailand.
Hi and Ni Euope Conference 2014, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
Ditigal Olfaction Society 2nd World Congress on Olfaction and Issues. Tokyo Institute of Technology, Toyko, Japan.
International Congress on Engineering and Food (ICEF), Quebec, Canada